Customs warns against smuggling of goods into Nigeria

The acting Comptroller of the Federal Operations Unit, Zone ‘A’, Hussein Ejibubu, has issued a warning against the ingenious concealment methods for smuggled goods into the country.

Ejibubu stated this while addressing pressmen on Tuesday, explaining that “smuggling is illegal and a crime that has negative social, economic, and security implications.

The Nigeria Customs shared the statement with photos on its X handle on Thursday, December 7, saying: “The Acting Comptroller of the Federal Operations Unit, Zone ‘A’, Hussein Ejibubu, has warned against the use of ingenious concealment methods to transport smuggled goods to Nigeria, as his Unit will continuously work hard to improve detection methods with the aid of intelligence.

“Addressing newsmen in Lagos on Tuesday, December 5, 2023, Ejibunu explained that “smuggling is illegal and a crime that has negative social, economic, and security implications.

“While showcasing seizures in November, he disclosed that “the strategic deployment of officers with intelligence-driven in anti-smuggling operations led to the arrest of a Toyota Highlander with an ingenious concealment of suspected bags of foreign parboiled rice at Iju-Ojuore, Ogun State.

“He stressed that the concealment of foreign bags of rice stacked inside the engines of vehicles not only contravenes the law but is also harmful to human consumption.

“Other seized items within the period under review include; 5,459 bags of 50kg foreign rice (equivalent to 9 trailer loads), 18,100 litres of premium motor spirit, 376 bales of used clothes, 1,926 cartons of frozen poultry products, 337 pieces of used compressors, 3 X 40 ft containers containing 3,838 pieces of used tyres, 13 used vehicles (Tokunbo), and 396 cartons of frozen fish, all worth N872,575,250.

“The Ag. Comptroller disclosed that 11 suspects were arrested during the anti-smuggling operations without hassles, and as such, calls for the collaborative efforts of all citizens to support the Service by providing valuable and timely information that would aid the anti-smuggling drive.

“Ejibubu underscored the importance of collective responsibility in ensuring the security of borders and preventing illicit trade practices.

“On revenue generation, the Ag. The comptroller disclosed that “the Command generated the sum of N71,254,984.71 through conscious and thorough documentary checks, followed by the issuance of demand notices on consignments that were found to have paid lesser amounts than the appropriate Customs duty.”

Ogun To Provide Shelter For Victims Of Gender Based Violence -Abiodun

The Ogun State Government on Wednesday said it would provide a befitting accommodation for victims of Gender Based Violence (GBV) in the state.

Governor Dapo Abiodun made this known in his office at Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta, when he received his wife and other women, who were on a road show as part of activities for the 16 days’ Activism Against Gender Based Violence in the state.

The governor, who acknowledged that gender violence has become pronounced among males and females in the country, assured that the state government would provide a befitting building to serve as a shelter for people that
have been sexually harassed or subjected to other forms of molestation in the state.

The shelter, he said, will save them from the stigma usually associated with the problem.

He added that the government would also work towards instituting a Gender Based Violence Trust Funds to finance the welfare of the victims.

“You want us to ensure that we have a befitting shelter and you made a case for that, and you emphasized the fact that people abused in the house or at home can not go back home. There are those who do not have anywhere else to go back to. There is a lot of stigma associated with those who are abused.

“I believe that we have identified somewhere previously, but I am told that it may not be befitting.

“By this, I am now instructing the Secretary to the State Government to work with the Ministry of Housing to identify either a building; if they can’t find one, we identify a parcel of land and we will construct a befitting building to serve as the needed shelter for those persons who have been subjected to all kinds of sexual harassment,” he said.

Speaking on the call for a specialized court to try cases of gender based violence in the state, Governor Abiodun said: “Fortunately, our head of court in Ogun State is a woman. In fact, the two courts we have, the state High ourt and the Customary Court of Appeal, are both headed by women. I am sure that the Chief Judge will be more than happy to see what she can do to expedite the request.”

The state helmsman also assured that his administration would support women at the executive level and at the judiciary to ensure that all that is required to reduce gender violence to the barest minimum in the state, is implemented.

Governor Abiodun also brought to the fore the need to look into violence against men.

He said: “I also want to bring to the fore that violence against persons is not only violence against women alone. Men also are being abused. But often times, nobody talks about that, and I want to be the advocate for men who are being abused.

“On the Gender Based Violence Trust Fund, I will do everything that I can to ensure that we sit down and plan on how to mobilize resources towards this noble cause.

“Once again, I want to assure you that I do identify with you and as your Governor, I will do everything within my power to ensure that we reduce this incidence of gender based violence to an absolute minimum in Ogun State.”

In her remarks, wife of the governor, Mrs Bamidele Abiodun noted that there was an increase in cases of rape and incest in the society, calling for the provision of a safe space for those who have been abused or harassed.

Speaking earlier, an expert on gender based violence, Dr. Mojisola Akinsanya noted that there was an urgent need to relocate women who have experienced violence at home for them to have a peaceful place to stay.

Dr. Akinsanya, who advocated for a Gender Based Violence Trust Fund in the state, acknowledged poverty as the driving force for GBV, noting that once women are well empowered, they would adequately cater for themselves.

70% of Nigerian students are into cyber crime — EFCC chairman, Olukoyede alleges

The chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Ola Olukoyede has expressed worry over the alarming rate of Nigerian youth involved in cyber crïmes.

Olukoyede in a statement issued by EFCC on X said it is worrisome that seven out of ten students in Nigeria today are involved in cyber crimes.

He made the call on Monday, December 4, 2023, while receiving a delegation that came on a courtesy visit to the corporate headquarters of the EFCC in Jabi, Abuja.

“It is worrisome that seven out of ten students today are involved in cyber crïm£s.
These are the youths we are preparing to be leaders of tomorrow. The media should not relent in enlightening them on the evils of such criminal practices,” Olukoyede said.

He decried the effects of youth’s involvement in internet-related crïmes and described the practice as a menace and cankerworm in society.

Olukoyede called for a wider media enlightenment of the youth across the country on the effects of indulgence in internet fraud.

Suspected Serial Burglar Mobbed By Ondo Youths Hospitalized

A suspected serial burglar, who identified himself as Sunday Joseph, has been hospitalised after residents of the Olupitan area in Ore, Odigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State, apprehended and beat him to a pulp.

The suspect was caught after breaking into some houses and stealing phones and money in the area.

According to an Ondo-based news medium, The Hope, the suspected burglar, who disguised as a vigilante, was caught on Saturday.

It was gathered that Joseph had been caught for committing the same crime about two years ago but he escaped then.

But on Saturday, some youths in the area mobbed the burglar as he made to escape.

Initially, he lied about coming to the area to steal but confessed to committing the crime after being beaten by the mob.

Due to the injury he sustained from the beating, the suspect was admitted to the General Hospital in Ore, while the matter was reported to the police division in Ore.

OYACA Sensitizes Corps Members on Impacts of Corruption on Economy, Society

The Oyo State Anti-Corruption Agency (OYACA), has on Monday, taken its sensitization campaign to the National Youths Service Scheme (NYSC)’ Permanent Orientation Camp along Okeho road, Iseyin, calling on the corps members avoid acts that will bring the names of their parents into disrepute when they start working in the public or private sector after their service.

The Chairman of OYACA, Hon. Justice Eni Esan (rtd.) who was represented at the event by the agency’s Executive Secretary, Barrister I. O Tijani told the youth corps members that parts of the reasons for the sensitization was for them to imbibe the anti-corruption spirit from the camp so as to guide against corruption and corrupt practices predominant in the working society they will soon join.

While defining corruption, Tijani said the act is an abuse of a position of trust for personal gain, listing its forms to include demanding and accepting gratification in the performance of one’s duty, taking actions that reflect conflict of interests and using political power inappropriately for sexual gratification, nepotism, appropriation of public funds for private use, among others.

“We decided to extend our enlightenment campaign to the NYSC Corps members because you will soon be posted to the nooks and crannies of Oyo State for your primary assignments and to serve in different MDAs and other government establishments.

“In addition, as the future leaders of this nation, we want you to imbibe the anti-corruption spirit from the outset so as to guide against corruption and prevent all forms of corrupt practices that are prevalent in the society.”

He went further to enunciate the impacts of corruption on the individuals, the implicated coworkers and their organization that will also share from the blame.

In his response, the Oyo State NYSC Coordinator, Comrade Odoba Abel Oche appreciated the Oyo State government and the leadership of OYACA for what he called a very impactful orientation programme against corruption, which he said has caused so much negative consequences for the nation.

Odoba said the sensitization has achieved the success of pre-emptying any corruptive acts and as certainly nipped in the bud, any thought to carry out such dastardly act in the future by the corps members.

Subsidy removal: Tinubu took right decision to save Nigeria – Ndume

Borno South Senator and Senate Chief Whip, Ali Ndume, has said President Bola Tinubu took the right decision by removing fuel subsidy.

Ndume said the Nigerian Government has saved a lot of money since Tinubu announced subsidy removal.

He spoke while featuring on Channels TV programme, Politics Today on Friday.

According to Ndume: “All Nigerians also agree that some of the hard decisions needed to be taken. You can imagine what we have saved from the period he announced that subsidy would be no more.”

Tinubu had announced the removal of fuel subsidy during his inauguration in Abuja on May 29.

The Federal Government had saved about N1.45tn from earnings generated from the removal of subsidy between June and September.

This is according to FAAC allocation documents on the website of Nigeria’s Governors Forum and National Bureau of Statistics. We

Ogun To Join Oil Producing States, Plans Education Summit – Abiodun

The Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun, on Thursday, said discussions were in top gear on the exploration of oil in Tongeji Island and Olokola in Ipokia and Ogun Waterside local government areas of the state respectively.

The governor noted that the state would soon be given the frontier status and would join the league of oil-producing states in the country.

Prince Abiodun stated this during the presentation of the year 2024 Appropriation Bill christened, ‘Budget of Sustained Growth and Development’ at the Ogun State House of Assembly.

The governor said, “Discussions are ongoing regarding the exploration of oil in Tongeji Island, Ipokia Local Government Area, and Olokola, in Ogun Water-Side Local Government Area, respectively. We are confident that very soon, we will be given frontier status and will soon join the league of oil-producing states.”

Abiodun also disclosed that his administration, in preparation for its new status as an oil producing state had established the Ministry of Mineral Resources saddled with the responsibility of overseeing the general administration and operation of the natural resources that abound in the state.

He also disclosed that his administration had established the Ministry of Energy to take advantage of the constitutional amendment that allows sub-national governments to participate in the energy sector.

The governor, who also disclosed that an education summit would be held in the first quarter of 2024, said that numerous challenges facing the sector would be considered with a view to repositioning education in the state.

‘You’re Inexperienced’ – Senate Knocks Dele Alake For Shunning Invitation

The Senate, on Thursday, slammed the Minister of Mines and Solid Minerals, Dele Alake, for shunning an invitation to appear before its Committee on Solid Minerals. The Red Chamber said the relative inexperience exhibited by Alake has created a cloudy future for the yet-to-be-explored wealth of the ministry.

The Senate, which summoned Alake, to appear before its Committee on Solid Minerals Wednesday, chided him for disregarding its invitation and threatened zero allocation in the 2024 budget.

Alake is expected to brief the senate committee on the federal government’s work plan to develop the sector and block illegal mining.

The committee made the resolution, during its meeting and expressed dissatisfaction about the failure of the minister to appear before it

The panel said Alake usually gave excuses that he travelled with Tinubu, and expressed concerns that the minister had abandoned his primary duties of bringing the mining sector to international repute.

The committee, which threatened to give zero allocation to the ministry in the2024 fiscal year, if the Minister failed to amend his ways, advised him to start responding to the invitations of the committee.

Chairman of the Committee, Senator Sampson Ekong, who issued the summon at the meeting, maintained that his panel would ensure the right legal frameworks that would bring a positive turn around of the sector.

Ekong pointed out that accountability and transparency would be the watch word of the Committee.

He noted that the Bitumen bill sent to the Committee would be expeditiously processed and presented to the Senate for passage and onward transition to the President for assent.

He said: “The Nigerian solid minerals and extractive industry is very vast and grossly under-taped. God in his unquestionable benevolence has blessed Nigeria with huge mineral deposits.

“However, a a number of factors have continued to hamper the sector. The sector has the potential to contribute significantly to our economy.”

Ekong also pointed out that the 2021 contributions of the solid minerals sector to Nigeria’s GDP stood at 0.63 per cent.

Gov Dapo Abiodun Visits Family Of Slain Ogun Director of Finance, Promises Justice

The Governor of Ogun State, Dapo Abiodun, paid a condolence visit to the family of the late Director of Finance and Administration at the Governor’s Office, Mr. Taiwo Oyekanmi, on Thursday.

Sharing pictures from the visit on his Facebook page, the governor noted that his administration will not rest until those responsible for his tragic death are apprehended.

He wrote, “While paying a condolence visit to the residence of the late Director of Finance and Administration at the Governor’s Office, Mr. Taiwo Oyekanmi, I took the opportunity to convey my deepest sympathies to his family and the people of our state.

“It is with great sadness that we acknowledge the untimely passing of Mr. Oyekanmi, a diligent, hardworking, and humble individual who dedicated his life to serving not only his job but also his faith in God.

“The sudden loss of Mr. Oyekanmi has left the entire state workforce in mourning. I want to assure you that my administration will not rest until those responsible for his tragic death are apprehended and justice is served.

“I firmly believe that it is our duty to take complete responsibility for the welfare and well-being of the family he left behind.

“Rest assured, we will spare no effort in our quest to bring these criminals to justice. Every possible avenue will be explored, and no stone will be left unturned until the perpetrators of this heinous crime are apprehended and dealt with accordingly.

“Together, we shall overcome this tragedy and strive to ensure a safer and more secure future for our state. May God Almighty rest his precious soul. Amen.”

ODUDUWA NEWS reports that Oyekanmi was gunned down on Wednesday while returning from the bank where he had taken a bullion van to withdraw some funds for the state.

Wife of church choir coordinator snatched, impregnated by Pastor

The founder of Christ High Commission Church, Araromi-Ugbesi, in Omuo-Oke, Ekiti State, Pastor Noah Abraham, has been accused of snatching and impregnating the wife of his choirmaster.

The church choir coordinator, Dare Ikuenayo made the allegation while speaking with Vanguard, adding that Abraham announced in the church that he had taken his wife and there was nothing anybody could do.

Ikuenayo said the cleric deceitfully snatched the mother of his three children when he told him that she had the gift of prophecy and she should allow her to stay with him.

“I joined the church in Kabba, Kogi State, but one day, the pastor called me and notified me that my wife had a gift of prophecy that I should allow her to stay with him for a month and work for God which I obliged,” Ikuenayo said.

“Suddenly, I noticed that my wife was not even willing to see or talk to me. While I was trying to raise my eyebrows, the pastor announced in the church that he had taken my wife and no one could take her from him. I tried my best to no avail until he impregnated her and moved her into his house fully.”

Abraham was arrested by the operatives of the Ekiti State Police Command in collaboration with the National Agency for Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NPTIP) for allegedly abducting more than nine persons including children. (Vanguard)

You cannot copy content of this page