Gbenga Hashim Hails Justice Umar for Nullifying INEC’s Illegal Timetable, Commends Court for Upholding Rule of Law

Former presidential candidate,Dr. Gbenga Hashim, has commended the Federal High Court in Abuja for nullifying portions of the 2027 election timetable issued by the Independent National Electoral Commission(INEC), describing the judgement as a victory for the rule of law and constitutional order.

Hashim specifically praised Hon. Justice M. G. Umar for what he termed a courageous and principled decision that checked administrative overreach and reaffirmed the supremacy of the Electoral Act, 2026.

The Federal High Court, in Suit No. FHC/ABJ/CS/517/2026 between the Youth Party and INEC, reportedly held that the electoral body acted outside its statutory powers by imposing restrictive timelines on political parties for the conduct of primaries and other pre-election activities ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Reacting to the judgement, Hashim said he had consistently maintained that INEC must operate strictly within the confines of the law, revealing that he had earlier written an open letter to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu warning against actions capable of undermining the Electoral Act.

“I have consistently argued that INEC must act within the confines of the Electoral Act. Unfortunately, those warnings were not heeded. This judgment has now vindicated that position,” he stated.

Hashim described the ruling as timely and necessary, saying it would protect the integrity of Nigeria’s electoral process and strengthen democratic governance.

“I commend Justice M.G. Umar for his courage and fidelity to justice. This is a sound judgment that reinforces the supremacy of the law and restores confidence in our democratic institutions,” he added.

According to reports of the judgement, the court held that INEC lacks the legal authority to fix timelines for party primaries and cannot abridge statutory provisions relating to the submission of candidates’ particulars, withdrawal and substitution of candidates, publication of final candidate lists, and campaign periods.

The court consequently set aside portions of INEC’s Revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the 2027 General Elections found to be inconsistent with the Electoral Act, 2026.

Hashim urged INEC to fully comply with the judgement and ensure that future electoral guidelines strictly conform with the provisions of the law.

However, as of the time of filing this report, official court documents and a certified true copy of the judgement were yet to be publicly released, while INEC had not issued an official response to the development.

Fuel Subsidy, FX Cabals Fueling Nigeria’s Insecurity, Tinubu Alleges

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has alleged that individuals and groups who profited immensely from Nigeria’s controversial fuel subsidy regime and the foreign exchange system are responsible for fueling insecurity and economic sabotage across the country.

The President made this known on Wednesday through former Ogun Governor, Olusegun Osoba at the public presentation of a book titled The NADECO Story, held in Lagos. Tinubu said the current administration’s bold economic reforms, particularly the removal of fuel subsidy and the unification of the foreign exchange market, have disrupted entrenched interests that had fed fat on systemic corruption for decades.

According to the President, those who benefited from the old order are now resisting change and sponsoring acts capable of destabilising the country, including heightened insecurity and coordinated misinformation aimed at discrediting his administration. He maintained that the reforms, though painful, were necessary to rescue Nigeria’s economy from collapse and lay the foundation for long-term prosperity.

Tinubu noted that while Nigerians are enduring temporary hardship, his government remains committed to ensuring that the sacrifices yield sustainable benefits. He emphasized that his administration would not bow to pressure from those seeking to preserve corrupt structures, insisting that accountability, transparency, and national development must take precedence over personal interests.

Reflecting on the legacy of the National Democratic Coalition, Tinubu praised pro-democracy activists for their sacrifices in restoring democratic governance in Nigeria. He urged Nigerians to remain steadfast in defending democracy and supporting ongoing reforms, assuring citizens that the country would emerge stronger despite current economic and security challenges.

Ibadan Southwest I APC Primary Sparks Debate As Alasoro Ridwan Clinches Victory Amid Consensus Row

Hon. Alasoro Ridwan Adeleke has emerged as the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate for the Oyo State House of Assembly, Ibadan Southwest Constituency I, following a tightly contested primary election held across five wards yesterday.

The keenly contested primary, which was marred by controversy over alleged consensus arrangements, ended with Alasoro Ridwan securing a narrow victory over his closest rival, Olasunkanmi Akere, while Tolani Adigun placed third.

According to unofficial results collated from the five wards where voting took place, Alasoro Ridwan polled a total of 455 votes to defeat Olasunkanmi Akere, who garnered 445 votes, while Tolani Adigun secured 409 votes. A total of 1,309 votes were recorded in the exercise. Monitored by the correspondent of Oduduwa News who visited the scene, Ward 6 had no voting record as the primary election was disrupted when party faithfuls engaged in fisticuffs leading to the abscondment of the INEC official sent to monitor the process.

Ward-by-ward breakdown showed a dramatic contest among the three aspirants. In Ward 1, Olasunkanmi Akere dominated with 200 votes, while Alasoro Ridwan and Tolani Adigun polled 1 vote each. In Ward 2, Tolani Adigun led with 187 votes, followed closely by Akere with 77 votes, while Alasoro Ridwan secured 76 votes.

In Ward 3, Alasoro Ridwan gained momentum, polling 98 votes against Tolani Adigun’s 135 votes and Akere’s 77 votes. Ward 4 saw Tolani Adigun maintain a strong showing with 85 votes, while Akere secured 78 votes and Alasoro Ridwan got 22 votes.

The decisive turnaround came in Ward 5, where Alasoro Ridwan delivered a commanding performance, securing 258 votes, far ahead of Akere’s 13 votes and Tolani Adigun’s 1 vote, ultimately sealing his victory.

The outcome, however, has sparked conversations within party circles, as some stakeholders raised concerns over an earlier consensus arrangement reportedly proposed before the primary. Despite the controversy, party faithfuls declared the process valid and affirmed Alasoro Ridwan as the duly elected APC flagbearer for the constituency.

In his reaction, Alasoro Ridwan expressed gratitude to party delegates, supporters, and stakeholders for their confidence in his leadership, describing the victory as “a call to greater service.”

“This victory is for the people of Ibadan Southwest Constituency I. It reflects their trust and belief in our shared vision for quality representation and grassroots development. The journey continues, and together we will build a stronger and more prosperous constituency,” he said.

Party supporters have since congratulated the candidate, describing his emergence as a testament to resilience, commitment, and grassroots acceptance ahead of the 2027 general elections.

FG Appoints 40-Year-Old OAU Professor, Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar, Succeeds Oloyede

The Federal Government has appointed Prof. Segun Aina, a Professor of Computer Engineering, as the new Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), succeeding Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, who has completed his tenure and taken a bow after years of transformative leadership at the examination body.

Prof. Aina’s appointment is seen as a strategic move aimed at sustaining reforms and deepening digital innovation in Nigeria’s tertiary admissions system. Widely regarded for his academic excellence and expertise in technology, the new JAMB Registrar is expected to bring fresh ideas and strengthen the board’s commitment to transparency, efficiency, and service delivery.

Before his appointment, Prof. Aina gained national recognition as one of Nigeria’s youngest professors after his elevation to professorship in Computer Engineering at Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife. He holds degrees from the and , with a strong background in digital systems, network security, and educational technology.

Beyond academia, he is known for his contributions to innovation, entrepreneurship, and education reform, having consulted for public institutions and co-founded technology-driven ventures focused on capacity building and digital solutions.

Stakeholders in the education sector have welcomed his appointment, expressing optimism that he will build on the achievements of Prof. Oloyede and lead JAMB into a new era of technological advancement and institutional excellence.

Kidnappers Abduct Two Cocoa Research Institute Workers in Oyo, Police Arrest Two Suspects

Two staff members of the Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria (CRIN) have been abducted by suspected kidnappers in Oyo State, prompting an intensive security operation by the police and other security agencies.

The victims, said to be employees of the institute, were reportedly kidnapped while carrying out official duties around the institute’s operational area. Sources familiar with the incident disclosed that the abductors ambushed the workers and whisked them away to an unknown destination, creating panic among colleagues and residents in the area.

Confirming the development, the Oyo State Police Command said it had launched a coordinated rescue operation and had already arrested two suspects believed to be linked to the abduction.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state stated that security operatives acted swiftly after receiving distress information, leading to the arrest of the suspects during preliminary investigations. According to the police, efforts are ongoing to track down the remaining members of the kidnapping gang and secure the safe release of the abducted workers.

“The command has intensified search and rescue efforts, while investigations are ongoing to dismantle the criminal network behind the attack,” the police spokesperson said.

The incident has raised fresh concerns over insecurity in parts of Oyo State, especially in communities located near forests and research facilities. Staff members of the Cocoa Research Institute and residents have called on the government and security agencies to strengthen surveillance and protection around the institute and surrounding areas.

Authorities have urged the public to remain calm and provide useful information that could assist in the rescue mission and the arrest of other suspects involved.

The Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria, located in Ibadan, is one of the country’s leading agricultural research institutions, playing a vital role in cocoa production and related crop development.

‘Some People Told Tinubu I Wanted to Kill Him and Take Over Power’ — Shettima Opens Up on Presidency Rumours

Vice President has revealed that some individuals allegedly attempted to sow discord within the Presidency by falsely claiming that he harboured ambitions to eliminate President and take over power.

Shettima made the revelation while speaking at a public event in Abuja, where he reflected on his relationship with President Tinubu and the challenges of political leadership in Nigeria. According to the Vice President, certain political actors tried to create suspicion between him and the President through unfounded allegations and deliberate misinformation.

He stated that some people approached President Tinubu with claims that he was plotting against him and secretly nursing presidential ambitions. However, Shettima said the President dismissed such insinuations because of the trust and understanding that exist between them.

The Vice President described Tinubu as a courageous and politically experienced leader who understands the nature of power politics and refuses to be distracted by rumours or propaganda. He noted that political offices often attract intrigues, betrayals, and attempts to create unnecessary tension among leaders.

Shettima reiterated his loyalty to President Tinubu and affirmed his commitment to supporting the administration’s Renewed Hope Agenda. He stressed that he has no reason to undermine the President, adding that their partnership was built on mutual respect, trust, and a shared vision for Nigeria’s development.

He also urged politicians and supporters to avoid actions capable of overheating the polity, emphasizing the need for unity and cooperation in addressing the nation’s economic and security challenges.

The Vice President further assured Nigerians that the Tinubu administration remains focused on delivering good governance, economic reforms, improved security, and infrastructural development despite political distractions and criticisms from opponents.

Iru Ekun Security Network Ready to Storm Forests if Given Approval — Sunday Igboho

Prominent Yoruba Nation agitator, , popularly known as Sunday Igboho, has called on the Federal Government and governors in the South-West region to urgently approve the commencement of operations for the Iru Ekun Security Network to combat rising insecurity across Yorubaland.

Igboho made the appeal in a statement issued on Tuesday while sympathizing with families of victims and parents of pupils abducted during recent coordinated attacks on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State. According to him, all necessary arrangements and operational procedures for the security outfit have been completed, while members of the network are fully prepared to move into forests once official authorization is granted.

The activist expressed deep concern over the worsening wave of kidnappings, killings, and attacks allegedly perpetrated by bandits and criminal herders across the South-West and parts of Kwara State. He particularly lamented the abduction of school pupils and teachers, as well as the gruesome killing of a mathematics teacher during the attacks.

Igboho explained that despite the readiness of the Iru Ekun Security Network to launch operations against criminal elements terrorizing communities, the group would not embark on any mission without the approval and collaboration of government authorities and security agencies, including the Nigeria Police Force, the Department of State Services, and the Nigerian Army.

He also appealed to respected traditional rulers across the South-West to intervene by urging relevant authorities to expedite approval for the security outfit. According to him, the region cannot continue to watch helplessly while innocent citizens are being kidnapped and murdered by criminal gangs hiding in forests.

The call follows Friday’s coordinated attacks on Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota, Community Grammar School, and L.A. Primary School, Esiele, in Oriire Local Government Area, where dozens of pupils and teachers were abducted by gunmen. The incident further escalated tension after kidnappers reportedly beheaded a mathematics teacher on Sunday.

Oyo Schools Invasion: Southwest Govs Ignored My Proposal On Security For Two Years – Gani Adams

Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland, Iba Gani Adams, has strongly condemned the gunmen attacks on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, and called for decisive action from all stakeholders to end what he termed a guerrilla war.

The attacks, which occurred on Saturday, involved gunmen carrying out coordinated assaults on schools in Ahoro-Esinele and Yawota communities in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.

The gunmen abducted students and staff from the schools, and killled a school teacher, Mr Michael Opadokun.

In a statement addressing the grave security breach on Monday, Iba Adams expressed deep sorrow over the loss of innocent lives and the trauma inflicted on the affected communities.

He described the invasion as a deplorable act that threatens the safety and future of the children and the educational system in the region.

The Yoruba generalissimo recalled several instances, where he had called on the Federal Government, state governments in the southwest, and relevant security agencies to take proactive measures to protect the people in the face of growing threats of invasion by faceless bandits who he noted had infiltrated border communities and forests.

Adams restated his call for state police as a way of stopping the incessant security breaches by the terrorists across the country.

He urged all relevant security agencies, traditional rulers, and community leaders to collaborate more effectively to restore peace and security in the Southwest.

He emphasised the urgent need for enhanced intelligence gathering, proactive patrols, and community engagement to prevent further attacks on schools and other vulnerable targets.

Highlighting the importance of education as the foundation for the region’s development, Iba Adams urged the government to prioritise the protection of educational institutions and ensure the safe return of all abducted pupils and staff.

He also appealed to the people of the Southwest to remain vigilant and support security efforts aimed at curbing rising insecurity.

“There is a critical need for a united front in tackling insecurity in the Southwest, safeguarding the lives of citizens, and preserving the sanctity of education,” Adams noted.

Desmond Elliot: I thought plot to impeach Obasa came from Tinubu — we were all confused

Desmond Elliot, lawmaker representing Surulere 1 at the Lagos House of Assembly, says he believed the plot to impeach Mudashiru Obasa as Speaker of the House in 2025 had the backing of President Bola Tinubu.

He said the entire episode left members of the Lagos assembly thoroughly confused.

In January 2025, Obasa was impeached as speaker of the Lagos state house of assembly after majority of legislators accused him of gross misconduct and abuse of office.

Oriire School Abduction: Six Suspects Have Been Arrested – Oyo Police Confirms

Six suspects have been arrested in connection with the abduction of school pupils, as well as the killings of three individuals, including two teachers and one motorcycle rider, in Ahoro-Esiele, located in the Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.

The state’s Police Public Relations Officer, Olayinka Ayanlade, confirmed that the suspects are currently assisting the police with their ongoing investigation.

“We have six suspects in custody, and they are assisting the investigation.”

The suspects, as reliably informed, were said to be informants to the bandits who were apprehended at different locations by joint security operatives comprising Nigerian Army, the Nigeria Police Force, Western Nigeria Security Network codenamed Amotekun, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps and Agro-Rangers.

It was further gathered that the suspected informants were tracked through their various telephone conversations with the abductors on how to navigate the National Park to a safe heaven.

You cannot copy content of this page