JUST IN: UNILAG Mulls Closing Down Hostels Amidst COVID-19 Infections Among Students

The Senate of the University of Lagos may shut the institution’s hostels after its emergency meeting on Wednesday.

It was gathered that, the meeting was summoned following panic among students and staff of the university over cases of COVID-19 recorded in the school.

“It should be a short meeting. We will be deciding on whether hostels should be shut and if physical classes should continue.

“Some of the students are already leaving the hostels even before our decision,” the academic staff said.

Some students and lecturers in the university confirmed the development to The Punch on the condition of anonymity on Tuesday.

They noted that students and workers in the hostels are mostly affected.

The spokesperson for UNILAG, Nonye Oguama, said “no comment” when contacted on the telephone.

A student who resides in one of the hostels said, “We are having many people falling sick with COVID-19 symptoms.

“We don’t know what is happening. Many of us have to start going home instead of sleeping in the hostel.”

Another student confirmed that her roommate tested positive and had been isolated.

“Yes, one of my roommates tested positive. After that, we (other roommates) went for the COVID-19 test but returned negative.

“People are saying that there is Delta variant on campus but I don’t know how true that is,” the undergraduate added.

The management of the university also confirmed that UNILAG medical centre has recorded an increase in the number of patients with COVID-19 symptoms.

It also confirmed that the institution is being affected by a potential third wave of coronavirus in a ‘COVID-19 pandemic update’ published on the university’s website on Tuesday.

The statement read, “The University of Lagos Medical Centre wishes to inform all members of the University of Lagos Community about what appears to be the start of a potential 3rd wave of the COVID-19 Pandemic in Lagos State.”

Oyo Lawmaker, Dele Adeola Bags Award From NANS

ODUDUWA NEWS has gathered that the National Association of Nigerian Students NANS Southwest Zone has honoured a member representing Iseyin/Itesiwaju State Constituency, Hon. Dele Adeola with an award of excellence.

The members of NANS Zone D who visited the honourable at his office yesterday to give him the award, said they deemed it fit to honour the honourable for his outstanding performance at the Oyo State legislative house.

They said, they have been monitoring Hon. Dele Adeola and have no doubt than to conclude that his doggedness and and unrelenting effort towards the welfare and development of his people are second to none.

In his words, Adeola said, “today, I was honoured and awarded by National Association of Nigerian Students NANS, Southwest Zone. This award is dedicated to the people of Iseyin/Itesiwaju State Constituency for the trust reposed in me to serve them at the Oyo State House of Assembly.

“This is a clarion call to do more as this award will no doubt spur us to continue using parliament as an instrument of social engineering and the development well-deserved by the people.

“I am immensely thankful to the entire team of NANS Zone D for deeming it fit to recognize our roles and responsibilities so far at the legislative house.

“As I always say, we have no excuse to fail our people and we shall continue to demand for what is just and right”.

Thanks once again.

LASWARCO Seals 30 Water Factories For Producing Fake Products

The enforcement team of the Lagos State Water Regulatory Commission (LASWARCO) on Tuesday sealed thirty water factories across the state for various infractions ranging from unhygienic production environment, failure to comply with regulatory provisions as well as operating without adhering to good manufacturing practices.

Executive Secretary of LASWARCO, Mrs Funke Adepoju said the enforcement was in line with the mandate of the commission towards protecting residents from unhygienic water consumption, just as she said that the exercise would be sustained.

She said prior to the enforcement, LASWARCO had taken steps to engage and sensitize producers on best practices in the interest of residents, and also financial viability of their investments.

According to her, “In as much as we have the mandate to ensure that operators remain in business, we also cannot fold our arms and allow infractions to fester without being addressed. The primary regulatory mandate of the Commission is to ensure that operators in the water abstraction, production and distribution industry comply with best manufacturing procedures to safeguard the health of the people.”

She said the level of poor and unwholesome practices discovered in some water factories in the state was not only disheartening but frightening, vowing that LASWARCO would do all within its powers to ward off any attempt to put the lives of residents in jeopardy.

Giving details of the enforcement, Adepoju said: “the enforcement team of LASWARCO visited some water production factories in the state with on-site testing kits and the result confirmed that most of them are operating far below safety parameters.

“We found out that some factories that were earlier sealed were operating after the seal order was unsealed by their officials, while some were operating in very dirty environment and below regulatory standards.

“As the regulatory body empowered by Section 313 (h) of the Lagos State Environmental Management Protection Law, 2017, to regulate the activities of those engaged in the provision, consumption, treatment, packaging, sales and supply of bottled drinking water contained in bottles or polythene bags, our principal interest is to ensure acceptable standards.”

She said the commitment of the present administration of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu is towards ensuring that residents have access to potable and safe drinking water in line with the THEMES Agenda and goal 6 of the Sustainable Development Goals.

Besides, Adepoju said the factories would remain sealed until their owners comply with all safety procedures and duly register for further monitoring in order to facilitate compliance with best practices.

She urged residents to report any water production factory in their neighborhood that is suspected to be involved in unwholesome practices to the Commission for appropriate action, saying it was important for the people to key into the Safe Water Campaign of the Commission and work with the government to protect them.

International Criminal Court Acknowledges Pro-Oduduwa Republic Leader, Prof. Akintoye, Others’ Petition

The International Criminal Court, on Tuesday, acknowledged a 27-page petition filed by Yoruba Nation agitators.

The petition was signed by the Leader of Ilana Omo Oodua, Emeritus Professor Banji Akintoye; Yoruba Activist, Sunday Igboho; and other 49 persons fighting for the actualization of Oduduwa Republic, an agitated sovereign state for the Yoruba Yoruba nation.

The petition was filed against against President Muhammadu Buhari; the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, SAN; former Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai; and former Inspectors General of Police, Ibrahim Idris and Muhammed Adamu.

In the petition, the Yoruba Nation agitators accused the Nigerian leaders and security chiefs of genocide and crimes against humanity against the Yoruba people of Ekiti, Oyo, Osun, Ondo, Ogun, Okun Land in Kogi, and Kwara states respectively.

According to a letter to the petitioners’ lawyer by the ICC’s Head of Information and Evidence Unit of the Office of the Prosecutor, Mr. Mark P. Dilon, read, “This communication has been duly entered in the Communications Register of the Office.

“We will give consideration to this communication, as appropriate, in accordance with the provisions of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court.

“As soon as a decision is reached to formally commence investigation into this petition, we will inform you, in writing, and provide you, with reasons for this decision.”

Three Feared Dead As Military Men Clash With Traders In Lagos

ODUDUWA NEWS has gathered that no fewer than three men lost to the fight that ensued between a businessman, identified as Felix, aka Tiger, two other yet-to-be-identified and military officers at the Aguiyi Ironsi International Trade Centre, in the Paramo area of Ladipo Market, Lagos State.

wWtnesses confirmed to newsmen that a military officer and his orderly visited the market on Tuesday to change the spare part he bought from a trader.

On their way out, some union members, who were at the entrance of the market, reportedly demanded payment of N200 from them for gate pass.

It was learnt that the request infuriated the military men and in the process, an argument ensued between them and the union members.

A source in the market told our correspondent that the union members allegedly beat the military man and his orderly, adding that the soldiers mobilised three other personnel, who allegedly shot the victims to death.

The trader said, “What happened was that a military man came with his orderly in the morning to change a spare part that he bought from a trader in the market since last week. He came to change it because it did not work, but the military man did not wear his uniform when he came into the market.

“When he was leaving, the union boys at the entrance of the gate told him to pay N200 for gate pass. But because he refused to pay, it turned into a fight and the boys beat the military man and his orderly. So, he went back to his base, returned with three other boys and everywhere scattered as they started shooting.

“About three people have been killed; in fact, a trader, Felix, aka Tiger, whose shop is located on my line, was part of the people that were killed by stray bullets. Felix was carrying his goods into his shop during the fracas when a stray bullet hit him.

“We quickly rushed him to the hospital, but he died on the way. The incident happened around 1pm, but the military man came to the market around 9am.”

However, the Director, Public Relations and Information, Nigerian Airforce, Edward Gabkwat, who gave another version of the story, said a soldier and his civilian friend were in the market for debt collection from a trader when a fight broke out between the soldier and the debtor.

He said, “It was a matter of self-defence; it was purely a domestic matter that went south. A soldier and a civilian friend went to the market for debt collection, whether the debt was for the soldier or civilian, we don’t know. But in the process, a fight ensued between the soldier and the alleged debtor, and the debtor and other civilians pounced on the soldier.

“So, the friend of the soldier ran out to seek help and sighted a vehicle of the Operation MESA, and called their attention to the attack on the soldier. They ran to the scene of the incident, and when they got there, they were confronted by angry traders and civilians in the market, who started throwing stones at them.

“I understood that they collected the rifle of the air force personnel under Operation MESA, and the same soldier, who was under siege by the traders, snatched the rifle back, and was running toward the air force people, but opened fire because he was under threat.

“It was an unfortunate situation. It wasn’t as if it was the air force men that opened fire, but the rifle, which belongs to the air force personnel, has been retrieved. I understand one or two people died, but it is unconfirmed. Our base commander has been told to get to the root of the matter.”

Ogun Gov, Dapo Abiodun Felicitates Nobel Laurette, Wole Soyinka On His 87th Birthday

Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun has felicitated Nobel Laurette, Prof. Wole Soyinka on his 87th birthday.

This was contained in a short statement he made available on his official Facebook account as read in part:

“On July 13, 1934, the heavens bestowed on Ogun State, Nigeria and Africa as a whole, the rarest breed of humankind.

“From being the conscience of the Nation, you conquered the world as a playwright, poet, essayist and public intellectual.

“At 87, we proudly celebrate an enigma whose kind only Ogun State has the privilege of laying claim to”.

Sanwo-Olu Arrests Suspected Traffic Robbers In Ojota

The war against criminality in Lagos State has gone a notch higher as the State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu , personally arrested a gang of suspected criminals, which specialises in harassing motorists and road users in traffic.

The gang of suspected criminals met their waterloo Monday morning while attempting to unleash terror on a motorist around Ojota in-bound Alausa. Help however came for the motorist as Governor Sanwo-Olu’s convoy approached the scene to rescue him from the three machete-wielding criminals who were at the time, trying to forcefully drag him out of his vehicle.

The security personnel attached to the Governor swooped on the suspects, retrieved the dangerous weapons from them and arrested the three of them.

It would be recalled that Governor Sanwo-Olu while handing over security equipment purchased by the Lagos State Security Trust Fund (LSSTF) to the Inspector General of Police, Usman Alkali Baba, for the use of Lagos Police Command, on Thursday June 10, said there would be no hiding place for criminals in the State.

“We are determined to stabilize the security situation in Lagos State, as our own contribution towards lasting national security. Let me also use this opportunity to sound a note of warning to all criminals who are operating in Lagos State or planning to operate here; all armed robbers, kidnappers, cultists, bandits, and other criminals, we will leave no stone unturned in making this State inhospitable to you. We will find you, wherever you may be lurking and we will bring the full weight of the law on you,” Governor Sanwo-Olu declared.

The brand new crime-fighting equipment donated to the Lagos State Police Command were; 150 Double Cabin Vehicles, 30 Saloon Patrol Vehicles, 1,000 Ballistic Vests; 1,000 Ballistic Helmets, 1,000 Handheld Police Radios/Walkie-Talkies, 100 Security Patrol Bikes; two Armored Personnel Carriers (APCs), four High Capacity Troop Carriers and two Anti-Riot Water Cannon Vehicles.

Governor Sanwo-Olu stated after his security personnel arrested the three machete-wielding criminals that the exercise was a warning signal to other criminal elements and prospective traffic robbers in Lagos that there is no hiding place for criminality in Lagos State.

Also on Monday, the Strike Squad of the Lagos State Taskforce carried out a massive raid on motorcycle (okada) riders at Second rainbow and Toyota Bus Stop along Apapa-Oshodi Expressway.

During the raid, which lasted for some hours, a total of 105 motorcycles were impounded. Prior to Monday’s raid, a total of 201 motorcycles were impounded last week.

Igboho’s Uncontrollable Mouth Made Him To Enter Trouble, I am rallying Yoruba Leaders To Rescue Him From FG – Gani Adams

The Aare-Ona-Kankanfo Yorubaland, Iba Gani Adams, has begged every Yoruba King to forgive the popular Yoruba Activist and Human right fighter that his house was attacked by the DSS on July 1, the day he was also declared wanted.

Recall, ODUDUWA NEWS had earlier reported how DSS paraded many items like charms, phones, passports and dangerous weapons claimed to have allegedly recovered from Sunday Igboho’s house in which he has denied many of the items.

When Gani Adams was begging the Yoruba kings to forgive Igboho, according to Yoruba BBC monitored by ODUDUWA NEWS, he claimed he had already warned Sunday Igboho about the way he was agitating for the Oodua nation.

He said, many of the statements that used to come out of his mouth are not right for anybody that calls himself a powerful man.

Instead of him being patient and negotiate with the kings. He said he wanted to go to the Seme border and open it. I knew what he was doing would not end well and I warned him not to cause war in Yorubaland.

Gani Adams claimed that Sunday Igboho must stop his followers from abusing the Yoruba King and leaders that don’t support the agitation for the Oodua Republic because everybody is entitled to his opinion.

Gani Adams Narrated that he has warned Sunday Igboho to be careful with his followers because most of them are informants of politicians from Lagos. But almighty God has used him to fight for the Yorubas and we can never deny him.

He further begs that, Alake of Egba, Oni of Ife and other Kings to forgive Sunday Igboho. He claimed that Sunday has abused many people, including himself, but as the Aree-Ona-Kakanfo, I don’t have any other choice than to forgive him.

Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun Flags Off Local Government Election Campaign Tour

The Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun has flagged of the campaign tour to local government to assess level of completion of projects in a bid to prepare for the forthcoming local council elections in the State.

This was made known to newsmen by the governor to yesterday in a statement released as read in part:

“Today, we flagged off our Local Government Election Campaign Tour in Imeko-Afon. The event afforded us the opportunity of assessing the level of work done in the ongoing Oke-Ola Road construction project in Imeko as part of fifty-two (52) other life -impacting projects including rehabilitation of public schools, rural electrification, primary health centres, to mention a few.

“I also promised that before my next visit to the local government, the deplorable condition of Rounda-Imeko Road will be a thing of the past, as we are set to give that major road the attention it deserves.

“I enjoined everyone to support and vote for our party in the forthcoming Local Government Elections”.

You cannot copy content of this page