Man ex-girlfriend, her newborn baby, three others set ablaze over paternity fraud in Ogun

A 24-year-old man, identified as Arinze Igbonakwu, has allegedly set ablaze his 18-year-old ex-girlfriend, her newborn baby, and three others over paternity fraud in Ogun State.

The unfortunate incident which occurred on Tuesday morning, September 5, 2023 in Okun Owa, Odogbolu LGA of the state, has left everyone in shock.

The story goes that Esther and Arinze were dating when she fell pregnant. Arinze took care of her and bore all the financial responsibility until she gave birth sometime last month. It was gathered that Arinze paid all the hospital bills.

However, a few days after she was discharged from the hospital , another guy, named Seun, surfaced and laid claim to the child. While, they were trying to resolve the issue, Esther packed her bags and moved in with Seun. She also confirmed Seun is the biological father of her child.

According to reports, the Police waded into the matter. Arinze demanded the sum of N300k as compensation but Seun said he will only pay N150k and that he was going to pay it in installment, N20k monthly. But apparently, Arinze wasn’t happy with the arrangement. He started threatening to kill the girl.

It was further stated that Esther went to sleep at her neighbor’s room with the baby on Tuesday because Seun wasn’t home and she was scared that Arinze might break in to harm her.

Unkown to them, Arinze broke into the neighbor’s apartment and poured about 10 litres of petrol on Esther, the newborn baby, the neighbor and her two children and set them ablaze.

They were rushed to Babcock hospital in Iisan and later transferred to Gbobi hospital in Lagos.

The newborn baby died on the spot, while Esther died this morning at the hospital. The neighbor and her two children are currently battling for their lives. They are said to be in critical conditions while the suspect is currently on the run.

Ekiti Students Embark On Protest, Seek Justice For Slain Colleague

The Students’ Union of Federal University of Oye-Ekiti FOUYE has embarked on protest to demand for Justice for the murdered 200 level Nursing student, Atanda Modupe Deborah.

The protest was led today by the Vice President of the Students’ Union, Jimoh Adesope.

In a statement she made available to newsmen as read in part:

“Earlier today, there was a peaceful protest as regards the unfortunate incident that happened yesterday. We reiterated our demands with major emphasis on :

1) Justice for our beloved one

2) Eradication of “streams”

3) Sufficient lighting systems on all roads and classrooms (on both campuses)

4) Better security network amongst others

After this, I led members of the union to the Ekiti State CID where the case is currently being handled. We met with the Commissioner of Police and other concerned officers and we were informed about the arrests made and the immediate commencement of investigation. He revealed that even the IG of the police had rung them on the matter with immerse pressure to unearth the perpetrators. I will like to affirm that we won’t rest until we get to the root of the matter, God willing.

JUST IN: Pastor Ghandi Installed As Soun Ogbomosho Amidst Legal Battle

Kingmakers Install Ghandi Afolabi Laoye as Soun of Ogbomoso, Traditional rites to follow
September 8, 2023

Prince Afolabi Ghandi Laoye has been officially installed as the new Soun of Ogbomosoland. The esteemed kingmakers of the community performed the installation ceremony at Abata, with the Areago High Chief Sobalaje Otolorin leading the proceedings.

Ghandi, a respected pastor and successful international businessman, arrived in Ogbomoso early in the morning via a private chopper. The aircraft landed at Ogbomoso grammar school before he made his way to the palace.

The installation ceremony took place this morning, marking the beginning of Prince Afolabi Ghandi Laoye’s reign as the Soun of Ogbomoso. Despite rumors of a court injunction, the kingmakers confirmed that they had not received any legal order preventing them from carrying out the installation.

With the official installation complete, traditional rites are set to commence soon. The community eagerly awaits the next steps in ensuring a smooth transition and a prosperous future under the leadership of their new Soun.

Gov Makinde to recruit more teachers into public primary schools in Oyo

Oyo state Governor Seyi Makinde has announced plans to commence recruitment exercises for primary school teachers in order to address shortage of manpower across public primary schools in the state.

The Governor disclosed this at a stakeholders consultative meeting for 2024 budget held recently in Ibadan.

The occasion is an annual town hall meeting, where Governor Seyi Makinde convenes with pertinent stakeholders within the state and the primary objective is to collaborate on shaping the framework for the state’s annual budget.

The gathering which had in attendance different interest groups and stakeholders is aims at ensuring an all inclusive and people oriented budget ahead of the 2024 fiscal year.

Governor Makinde believes education remains a top priority and pledged to allocate more funds to the sector to address the issue of infrastructure and recruitment of additional staff, in order to ease the strain on public primary schools.

The state’s Commissioner for Budget disclosed that they successfully secured a 75 percent budgetary success this year, and assured of further enhancements in the coming years.

Alado of Ado-Awaye, Oba Olugbile Felicitates Adebayo Adelabu Over Appointment As Minister

The Alado of Ado Awaye Land, Oba Ademola Olugbile Folakanmi, Alado-in- Council and the entire people of Ado Awaye Kingdom home and diaspora have congratulated Chief Adebayo Adekola Adelabu, FCA, FCIB, OFR, the Aare Asoludero of Ado Awaye Kingdom on his recent appointment as the Minister of Power, Federal Republic of Nigeria by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR.

In a congratulatory message made available by Kabiyesi’s Principal Secretary, Prince Niyi Okunade, Kabiyesi Alado states, “in my capacity as the Alado of Ado Awaye Land and on behalf of the entire people of Ado Awaye Kingdom both home and diaspora, I heartily congratulate our beloved Chief Adebayo Adelabu, FCA, FCIB, OFR, the Aare Asoludero of Ado Awaye Land on his deserved appointment as the Minister of Power, Federal Republic of Nigeria”. Quoting the message further, “the appointment of Chief Adelabu as Power Minister was a right choice and a better decision on the part of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR, the President and Commander-in-Chief, Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“Chief Adebayo Adelabu is an intelligent and seasoned administrator whose track records in banking industry and other financial institutions are fantastic. He is undoubtedly a right peg in a right hole”.

The message advised Chief Adelabu to behold the appointment as a clarion call to serve humanity and his father land and concluded that the Almighty God would grant him all the wherewithal required to steer the affairs of the nation’s power ministry.

Court restrains Makinde, others from installing Ghandi as new Soun Ogbomoso

An Oyo State High Court sitting in Ogbomoso has restrained Governor Seyi Makinde, the Attorney General and the Commissioner of Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters either by themselves, agents or officials from presenting any instrument of office in any form of ceremony or issuance of certificate of installation to Pastor Afolabi Ghandi Oladunni Olaoye as the new Soun of Ogbomoso land, pending the hearing and final determination of the mandatory injunction already filed before the court.

Justice K.A Adedokun gave the order on Thursday while ruling on a motion of ex-parte filed by one of the contenders for the Soun of Ogbomoso stool, Prince Muhammed Kabir Olaoye.

Details later.

JUST IN: Akeredolu Returns To Nigeria After Months Of Protracted Illness

Rotimi Akeredolu, governor of Ondo state, has returned to Nigeria after three a month of medical vacation abroad.

ODUDUWA NEWS reports that Akeredolu landed in Ibadan, the capital of Oyo state.

Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu, the wife of the Ondo state governor had posted on X and revealed that the governor was on his way home.

The governor left the country on June 7 to attend to his health challenges in Germany and was supposed to return on July 6.

However, Akeredolu could not return after his 21-day medical leave. The state government said, “Akeredolu will resume duty after being certified fit by doctors”.

His deputy, Luck Aiyedatiwa has been acting as the governor of the state.

Body of missing FUOYE student found buried in shallow grave with eyes plucked out

A 100-level student of the Federal University of Oye Ekiti (FUOYE), Atanda Modupe Deborah, has been found d£ad two days after she went missing.

It was gathered that the student of Nursing Department, stream A, Faculty of Basic Medical Science, went missing after she went to study in the class on Monday night, September 4, 2023.

Her roommates declared her missing when she did not return from the night reading.

Her body was found buried in a shallow grave behind her faculty with her eyes plucked out on Wednesday, September 6.

Reacting to this incident in a statement on Wednesday evening, the Registrar of the University, Mufutau Ibrahim, ordered all students to vacate the campuses.

The university management stated further that the armed security personnel have been quickly deployed for patrol, surveillance and security purposes, and that several arrests have been made.

“The University Management has received a report on the case of Ms Modupe Deborah Atanda who was reported missing as at Wednesday, 6th September 2023; and Management is saddened at the current turn of events,” the statement read.

“It is pertinent to promptly inform the entire University community that immediate steps have been taken in this regard, as all National Security Personnel have been drafted to handle the situation. As a matter of fact, several arrests have been made of the suspects.

“To this end, all students (Stream A and any other full-time student still on any of the University’s campuses) are hereby directed to vacate the premises with immediate effect to ensure a proper, holistic and unimpeded thorough investigation, please.

“It is worthy of note that armed security personnel have been quickly deployed for patrol, surveillance and security purposes.

“Rest assured that all steps would be taken by the University to fish out any and all culpable persons; and they shall face the full wrath of law.

NLC ends warning strike, directs members to resume work

The Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, has ended its two-day warning strike and has asked all the affiliate unions to return to work on Thursday, September 7.

The labour union embarked on a two-day warning strike on Tuesday, September 5, to draw the attention of the government to the hardship being faced by Nigerians as a result of the petrol subsidy removal.
In a letter to all its affiliates and Chairpersons of State Councils, the NLC expressed gratitude to them for working to make a significant strides in achieving the Congress goals set during its National Executive Council, NEC, where the decision for the strike was taken.

The letter, dated 6th September with the title, “The Two-Day Nationwide Warning Strike: Nigerian Workers have spoken,” which was signed by the NLC President, Comrade Joe Ajaero, said that the message conveyed through the warning strike resonated loudly with the government, adding that it would only take an inattentive ear not to hear it.

Oyo APC congratulates Tinubu, Nigerians over victory at Tribunal

The All Progressives Congress APC in Oyo state has described the Wednesday judgement of the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal which validated the victory of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu at the poll held on February 25, 2023 as an indication that the nation’s democracy was moving in the right direction with a prospect to meet up with the global standard.

A 5-man panel of judges led by Justice Haruna Tsammani had ruled that various petitions from the former vice president and the presidential candidate of the People’s Democratic party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, and former governor of Anambra state who was also the presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP) at the 2023 general election as well as that of the Allied People’s Movement (APM) lacked merit and thereby affirmed the APC presidential candidate, Tinubu, as validly elected and sworn-in as the President of Nigeria.

Reacting to the development in a statement issued on Wednesday and made available to journalists in Ibadan by its Publicity Secretary, Olawale Sadare, Oyo APC posited that the Judiciary arm of government had again proved that it was ready play its role as a reliable custodian of justice and the rule of law that is always ready to safeguard democracy and also serve justice to all without fear or favour.

“As active contributors to the transparent processes that produced President Bola Tinubu as the candidate of our great and the colourful electioneering which had issue-based campaigns as its nucleus as well as his electoral victory on February 25, 2023, we had no doubt in our mind that challenging Tinubu’s mandate in court were only chasing shadows. We are indeed glad that the court did justice to the matter in the face of blackmail, propaganda and threat of harassment.

“While we are using this opportunity to congratulate our dear leader, President Bola Tinubu, and the leadership of our great Party on this hard won victory yet again, we urge Mr. President to forge ahead in his efforts aimed at uniting Nigeria and also reposition the country to reclaim its pride of place in the global community. The present administration cannot afford to lose focus on the mission to fix all the key sectors of economy, power, security, health, agriculture, ICT among others and it is on this premise that we call on all patriots, including members of the opposition, to join hands with President Tinubu to move the nation forward.” Oyo APC stated.

In a similar development, Oyo APC has has congratulated its national assembly members who have had their electoral victory upheld by the various tribunals. “It is a thing of joy than the mandates given Sen. Abdulfatai Buhari and Sen. Sarafadeen Alli as well as Hon. Akin Alabi, Hon. Olaide Akinremi, Hon. Akeem Adeyemi and Hon. Lateef Muhammeda by the good people of their Senatorial districts and constituencies respectively have been affirmed by the courts as this is an eloquent testimony that the Judiciary remains the last hope of the common man.” APC concluded.

You cannot copy content of this page