Man set ablaze for alleged kidnapping in Ibadan

One man identified to be alleged kidnapper was set ablaze very closed to Jogor Centre, Ibadan.

“The delivery made bike-man chase him into the gutter and the man ran underground prompting bike-men and angry people to set fire to materials, the eyewitness said.

Another eyewitness explained that, “the mad man tried crawling into another underground but couldn’t withstand the heat which made him go out eventually”.

“He was beaten and ran into the compound of Jogor center where he was brought out, beaten and set on fire”.

Among the items recovered included ATM cards, knives, and the names of six people who were seen in the list.

Twins Detained Over N215,000 Hospital Bill

Twin babies (a boy and a girl) born on October 22 at Supreme Royal hospital in Lagos, have been detained by the hospital management over unpaid balance of N215,000 bills.

According to the mother, Sadiat Alao, she gave birth through Caesarean section, which she didn’t planned for and was billed N350,000.

She, however, said the father of the twins had been paying bit by bit, but was unable to offset the bill.

She said: “He has not showed up for over one week because of the balance and the more we stay in the hospital, the more we will continue to incur more bills.

“I am begging kind-hearted Nigerians to come to my aid because of these twins.”

Efforts made to talk to the Medical Director proved abortive as we were told he wasn’t available.

Sadiat can be reached via 08172024662

No going back on 120% Ondo varsity fees hike, VC insists as PDP, parents kick

The Vice-Chancellor of University of Medical Sciences, UNIMED, Ondo State, Prof Adesegun Fatusi, has said there is no going back on the hike in tuition fees of the institution.

This coming on the heels of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, and parents of students in UNIMED, yesterday, kicking against the 120 per cent increase in tuition fees, saying the increase would swell the number of out-of-school children.

The PDP’s Publicity Secretary in the state, Kennedy Peretei, in a statement, said the hike “is a silent notice to parents who cannot afford the new fees regime to withdraw their children.”

Akeredolu’s antecedents
Governor Rotimi Akeredolu has never hidden his penchant for increasing fees in tertiary institutions, since he assumed headship of the state.

The Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Akoko, and Olusegun Agagu University of Science and Technology, Okitipupa, have suffered serial closures over students’ protests bordering on fees’ hikes.

The Rufus Giwa Polytechnic in Owo shrank to a student population of 1,753, from over 9,000, due to fees increase.

Most private residential accommodation for students in Owo is now empty. Even the economy of the ancient city has been adversely affected.

Parents and students of UNIMED received shockers when they noticed increment of fees with nearly 120 per cent for 2021/2022 session.

No explanation was given for this hike. Medical students have to pay as much as N1,320,000, as against N515,000 payable in the previous academic session (2020/2021)

“There is no justification for this continuous upward review of school fees, when the economy of the state is practically comatose and workers’ salaries are not only irregular but never paid in full.

“The PDP in Ondo State calls on the governor and the APC-led government to wear a human face in taking decisions that affect the well-being of our future leaders.”

Parents berate govt
Also faulting the hike, some of the parents who spoke with Vanguard said: “There will be mass withdrawal. It is not realistic.

“Mass withdrawal is looming in the school. We were paying N350,000 and it was difficult.

“We know Medicine is not cheap, but this is on the high side. Other state schools are running medicine but their fees are not as high as N2 million.”

No going back on new fees, VC insists
When contacted, the institution’s Vice-Chancellor, Prof Adesegun Fatusi, said there was no going back on the new fees schedule.

Fatusi said: “The institution is committed to offering quality education and this position would not be compromised.

“The parents have an option. Their children don’t need to study here. Other medical schools are available.

“We run this school almost free of tuition fees. This school is a specialised school and we cannot continue with the previous fees.”

400 People To Benefit From Lagos’ Free Limb Deformity Intervention – LASG

No fewer than 400 people will benefit from the latest phase of the Lagos State Government sponsored Free Limb Deformity Corrective Surgery and Rehabilitative Programme – an intervention programme targeted at rehabilitating people, especially children, with lower limb deformities such as rickets or Blount disease, and other lower limb deformities that affect their normal growth and function.

The Permanent Secretary, Lagos State Ministry of Health, Dr. Olusegun Ogboye, disclosed this during his visit to the screening site for the latest batch of beneficiaries at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital on Monday.

According to him, the current phase of the exercise has recorded over 400 potential beneficiaries, who will be screened over a period of two days, while appropriate medical examinations are conducted.

He explained that during the current phase, 80 children will benefit from corrective surgical intervention, just as others will be offered physiotherapy, nutrition and health education as well as assistive mobility devices that will improve their health.

Ogboye noted that the results of their examination will be reviewed by a team of specialists and those that qualify for surgery will be booked for surgical intervention within the next 10 days, adding that the process will be at no cost to the patients.

He said: “The process involves a screening where surgeons examine patients and select those eligible to benefit from surgery and others that may benefit from assistive devices and other forms of physical rehabilitation. Those who pre-qualify for surgery will then go through a series of diagnostic investigations including x-rays and blood tests to check for the form of the bone malformation, calcium levels and other basic parameters. Patients are then offered surgery and kept overnight for observation”.

“This is supervised by our team of orthopaedic surgeons, anaesthetists, nurses and other health professionals. After discharge, patients will come for follow-up visits at the clinic, and then also go through physiotherapy to ensure we get the best outcomes”, the Permanent Secretary added.

He noted that many of the limb deformities, which can be corrected by surgery and rehabilitation, will improve the health status of the beneficiaries and give a greater sense of self-worth, stating that the patients would have better chances for economic empowerment and financial independence.

His words: “This programme often leads to improved mobility and health outcomes for the beneficiaries, and allows us to demonstrate our commitment as a State to develop our human capital and give our children a good platform to achieve their dreams and aspirations”.

“The programme also allows us to generate data to create other targeted disability intervention strategies to help more people that may have been disadvantaged healthwise in one way or another”, Ogboye said.

Speaking in the same vein, the Coordinator of the Programme, Dr. Tolulope Ajomale, noted that over 6,000 patients have benefitted from the programme since inception, adding that the programme has evolved into a multidisciplinary surgical outreach programme that explores surgical intervention, physiotherapy and assistive mobility devices to improve their health.

He noted that the programme, usually held biannually, was interrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic, stressing that the surgical and rehabilitative intervention programme has been rejigged to ameliorate the suffering of patients and their families.

Ajomale added that the massive turnout of potential beneficiaries at the screening exercise is an affirmation of the impact the programme has on citizens who have benefitted from the programme, stressing that another screening exercise will be organised before the end of the year to expand the window for more potential beneficiaries.

Ikoyi Building Collapse: Death Toll Rises To 43

One more body has been recovered from under the rubble at the site of a 21-storey building that collapsed in the Ikoyi area of Lagos last Monday, bringing the death toll to 43.

This was made known in a statement issued by the Lagos State Commissioner of Information & Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso on Sunday.

He noted that the corpse was retrieved from the rubble on Saturday night after the government announced the recovery of six more survivors.

He wrote, ”One more body has been recovered from the site of the collapsed 21-storey building in Ikoyi, Lagos. The body, which was recovered on Saturday, has brought the number of bodies retrieved from the rubble to 43.

Oyo Monarch, Onigbeti Of Igbeti Is Dead

ODUDUWA NEWS has gathered that the Onigbeti of Igbetiland, Oba Emmanuel Oyekan Oyebisi, Afasegbejo III has been declared dead. He was said to have reportedly passed on following the announcement of Alaafin of Oyo Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi 111.

The foremost monarch who became king in 2004 died at the age of 77. Alaafin condoles with the family and the entire people of igbeti and prayed that Grant him eternal rest.

In same view, the Oyo State Commissioner for Environment and Natural Resources, Hon. Abiodun Oni mourn the death of HRH,

Reacting to the death of the monarch, Abiodun Oni said, “We received with utter shock and sadness the news of the death of HRH, Oba Emmanuel Oyekan Oyebisi, Afasegbejo III, the Onigbeti of Igbeti Land, after 17 years on the throne.’

According to him, “Oba Emmanuel Oyekan Oyebisi’s wealth of experience, his wisdom and the royal candour he exuded was epochal and defining of a King that loved his people.

“Mr. Macaroni Was Completely Wrong”- Adamu Garba Faults Comedian For Not Honouring Osinbajo’s Invite

Former presidential aspirant, Adamu Garba, has faulted the declination of an invitation of Vice President Yemi Osinbajo by popular skit maker, Debo Adedayo, professionally known as Mr Macaroni.

Mr Macaroni had on Friday, in a very lengthy series of tweets on his verified Twitter handle, gave reason(s) for his refusal to meet with the number two citizen of the country after fellow skit makers met with the latter at Aso Villa Abuja under the aegis of the Nigeria Skits Industry Awards.

The meeting of the comedy skit makers with the Vice President was headed by its promoter Bimbo Daramola. Other delegates, who met with the Vice President, on Wednesday, include Adeoye Adeyemi Olosho aka Yemi Elesho, Josh Alfred aka Josh2funny, Maryam Akpaokagi aka Taaooma, Adebamiro Adeyanju aka Mr Hyenana and Ayo Ajewole aka Woli Agba.

Although the skit makers had said their intentions was to promote the skit comedy with a voice like that of the Vice President, they said they used the opportunity to speak out their minds on behalf of Nigerian youths regarding the leadership in the country, and more especially on the last year’s #ENDSARS protest which was rudely brought to a halt when armed Nigerian security operatives allegedly opened live round bullets at peaceful protesters at Lekki Toll Plaza in Lagos on the evening of October 20.

Some fans and followers of the skit makers who had attended the meeting with the Vice President, however, condemned the comedians. Others also questioned the absence of Mr Macaroni and Falz. And this has continued to divide fans of these comedians and some even hauled insulting words on those comedians who graced the meeting while others praised comedians who distanced themselves from the said meeting.

Giving reason for his absence, Mr Macaroni said that he was absent because he was not happy with leaders in the country, consequently, his rejection of the invitation sent to him to meet with the Vice President.

But in a new twist to this controversy, Adamu Garba, who is a former presidential aspirant, faulted the decision of Mr Macaroni for refusing to honour the Vice President’s invitation as he argued that it would have been the best avenue for him to register his displeasure with Vice President Professor Yemi Osinbajo.

Adamu Garba was of the opinion that the comedian should have embraced the hand of olive oil extended to him first before any other thing, and accepting the invitation would have given a chance to bear his mind on contentious issues with the Vice President.

“Mr. Macaroni was completely wrong. Sitting with the VP would have given him an opportunity for formal presentation of the issues of the moment. What would you have done without the power of green pen? You should sit and talk first, always,” the founder and CEO of the defunct Crowwe app, Adamu Garba had exhumed.

Ikoyi: Adegboruwa SAN Hired By VP Osinbajo To Begin Legal Battle Against Online Publishers

The renowned legal practitioner and Senior Advocate of Nigeria SAN, Ebun Olu Adegboruwa has been hired by Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo to institute litigation against online publishers and other mainstream media houses on the alleged defamation character linking the Vice President to the ownership of the collapsed Ikoyi building.

This was contained in a statement made available today by the Senior Advocate as read in part:

“All Media Houses, Journalists, Online Publishers, Bloggers, WhatsApp and other Social Media Group Leaders, Etc.

Dear Sirs/Mas,

LIBELOUS PUBLICATIONS OF AND CONCERNING HIS EXCELLENCY, PROF YEMI OSINBAJO, SAN, GCON,
ON COLLAPSED IKOYI BUILDING

We are solicitors to His Excellency, the Vice-President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, GCON (‘our Client’), on whose instruction we write, in respect of the above subject matter. We have the mandate of our Client to draw your esteemed attention to certain publications of and concerning him, in respect of the 21-storey building that recently collapsed in Ikoyi, Lagos State.

These publications, believed to have been sponsored by faceless individuals and entities to tarnish the good name and reputation of our Client, claim most spuriously, that our Client is connected with the said building, one way or the other, without any scintilla of proof. For the records, our Client is not involved in, associated or connected with the ownership or development of the collapsed building, in any manner whatsoever.

This notice has thus become necessary, partly to explain the legal consequences of fabricating falsehood and unsubstantiated negative reports, of and concerning our Client. In law, liability for libellous publications is not limited to the original author or publisher thereof, but it also extends to and includes all those who, out of sheer ignorance, mischief or malice, or all, cause any libellous publication to be repeated, reposted or re-published, either personally or through any platform for which they have control.

Accordingly, we have the instructions of our Client to compile and preserve the particulars of anyone found to have published, re-published or endorsed or consented to the publication, distribution or circulation of any libellous material, of and concerning him, for the purpose of commencing civil actions in court, in any jurisdiction where such publication occurs.

We therefore implore you not to yield your noble platforms for the dissemination of any libellous publication of and concerning our Client, henceforth”.

Ondo Gov, Akeredolu Lauds Oduduwa Varsity, Describes Institution As Fast Growing

GOV AKEREDOLU LAUDS ODUDUWA VARSITY, DESCRIBES INSTITUTION AS FAST GROWING

Ondo State Governor, Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, SAN, has commended the Oduduwa University, Ile-Ife, for its giant strides and contributions to the promotion of quality education the country.

Governor Akeredolu promised that he would continue to remain a friend of the University, expressing hope that the institution will continue to grow.

The Governor spoke in his office on Thursday while receiving the Proprietor and Chancellor of the University, His Royal Eminence, Dr Ramon Adegoke Adedoyin, who led some Principal Officers of the institution on a courtesy visit to the Governor.

Governor Akeredolu said the fascinating point about the University, apart from its contribution to the educational system of the country, is the location.

He also hailed the proprietor of the institution for naming the school ‘Oduduwa’, saying it means a lot to the Yoruba race.

“I want to congratulate you for the great stride that your university has made in such a short time. We will always see your impact. You have a polytechnic and other things that you have established in Ife. All of us want to thank you for your great effort. A university is more of a legacy. It remains forever. That you had chosen Oduduwa is a great one for me,” he said.

Earlier, Dr Ramon Adegoke Adedoyin described the Governor’s achievements so far as monumental and heartwarming.

The Chancellor, who used the occasion to appreciate Governor Akeredolu for being one of the supporting personalities for the establishment of Oduduwa University, formally invited the Governor to the 8th and 9th Joint Convocation of the citadel of learning.

Ikoyi: I’m Not The Owner Of Collapsed 21-Storey Building – Osinbajo

Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, has refuted claims that he owns the land upon which the collapsed building in Ikoyi stood.

Osinbajo, who condoled with the families and relatives of all those who have died and those who were injured or affected in the collapsed building under construction on Gerrard Road, Ikoyi, described the incident as a horrible tragedy.

Reacting to allegations that the said land was sold to him by Chief Michael Ade Ojo, Chairman of Elizade Motors; and reports that he some time ago intervened with the regulatory authorities in Lagos State to unseal the said property, Osinbajo maintained that he has never been involved in the development of any land since he became Vice President.

A statement issued by Osinbajo’s Senior Special Assistant on Media & Publicity said, ”At no time whatsoever did the VP buy this or any other piece of land from Chief Michael Ade Ojo, or entered into any transaction for the sale of that land or any other piece of land from Chief Ade. Ojo or anyone for that matter.

”All property and assets owned by the Vice President have been publicly declared.

”Also, the Vice President has never spoken to the Governor of Lagos State or any other official of the State Government regarding the unsealing of the said building on Gerrard Road, Ikoyi, which subsequently collapsed. He has, indeed, never acted to influence any other regulatory action on the collapsed building, or any other building for that matter, in Lagos State.”

Osinbajo further explained that he has no interest and has never had any interest, in the land, the building or development.

”The wickedness and viciousness of a lie that seeks to utilise a tragedy where so many people have lost their lives, even as rescue efforts are ongoing, and in wanton disregard to the feelings and untold grief of their loved ones for political gain, reveals a dangerous desperation, as well as the heartlessness of the perpetrators of such despicable lies.” the statement reads in part.’

The Vice President added that he has referred the ‘disgraceful’ publication to his lawyers for prompt legal action.

You cannot copy content of this page