Vice President, Osinbajo, State Governors, Others Attend Funeral Of Ex-Oyo State Governor, Alao-Akala

The funeral mass of former Oyo state governor, Christopher Alao-Akala, was held at the Beulah Baptist Conference Centre, Ogbomoso today February 18.

The former governor died on January 12 after a brief illness.

Guests at the funeral mass included Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, Oyo state governor Seyi Makinde, Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti state and many other government functionaries.

Stray Elephant Trapped In Saki Dies

A migratory elephant which was recently sighted in Saki West Local Government Area of Oyo State has died.

Reports say the elephant which came from Benin Republic, today died in the custody of University of Ibadan.

The elephant was on Thursday conveyed to the University’s Zoo in Ibadan after its delegation led by Director of Zoological Garden, Dr Kabeer Popoola and that of the local government went in search and captured the visitor.

We Have No Hand In Danfo Driver Who Set Self Ablaze – Lagos Task Force

The Lagos State Environmental and Special Offences Enforcement Unit {Taskforce} has said that its men and officials have no hand in the enforcement for compliance activities that led to a commercial bus driver setting himself ablaze to resist his vehicle being impounded by yet-to-be-identified Security Agents.

Speaking at the Agency’s Headquarters today at Safety Arena, Bolade Oshodi, Lagos, the Chairman of the Agency, CSP Shola Jejeloye in a swift reaction to The Punch Newspaper report on the incident of a commercial bus driver who set himself ablaze to evade arrest during Enforcement for Compliance operation, said that Taskforce have no hand in it.

He said that at the time of the incident his Men were still at the base.

“The accusations are utterly inaccurate and misleading as investigations and eyewitness account of persons who were present at the scene of the incident have categorically revealed that the driver, one Mr Ayo aka Eru poured petrol on himself to scare the security operatives from enforcing the traffic law which he violated. After the operatives had left, luck ran out on him and some of the hoodlums present mistook him for one of the security operatives and set him ablaze.”

The Chairman further stated that the barbaric act of setting self ablaze, robbing self with faeces, chasing law enforcement officers with urine and other crazy acts are now the new wave of resisting arrest by recalcitrant Motorists who have developed the habit and passion for violating the State Traffic and Enviromental laws. He however said that if they are bold enough to be serial law breakers, they should be courageous enough to face the consequences of their illegal actions rather than constituting nuisance on Lagos road.

Jejeloye further narrated how one Mr Festus Ugbesia age 40 of Mafoluku area of Oshodi who claimed to be the owner of the bus drove the victim from the scene of the incident down to the Agency Headquarters, inciting member of public against the Agency that the officials of the Taskforce had been fingered for setting the victim ablaze, but it later dawned on him that Taskforce had no hand in it when he discoverded that our Men and officials were still on the parade ground preparing for the task of the day while the transport department of the Agency was still sourcing for petrol for their operational vehicles at the Agency Headquarters.

CSP Jejeloye further stated that “We have had many instances where imposters carry out illegal activities and mention the name of Taskforce in the process thereby leading to people pointing accusing fingers at us. We have arrested a few of the these imposters and we will keep doing so until they desist from tarnishing the image of the Agency”.

He further stressed that not all security operative you see on Lagos Roads are attached to Taskforce. Officials of Taskforce are trained, enlightened, educated, professionals and equipped enough to distinguish between traffic offence and criminal offence. Traffic offence is not a criminal offence, as such, minimal or zero force has to be applied in carrying out the enforcement. “Enforcement all over the world is not a tea party and in most cases, it is not people friendly, that is the reason Taskforce operatives do not get any support from passers by during their operations rather what is always obtainable is little truths but massive lies against the agency”. Jejeloye said.

CSP Jejeloye stated that the officials of Taskforce assisted the victim to quickly get medical attention from Lagos State Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) as part of our patriotic act and corporate social responsibility . ‘’Let me emphasise here that for us as an Agency of Government we believe that it is better for us to allow an offender to go unharmed than to cause an injury. The officials of the Agency are being led by Senior Police Officers who are well trained and exposed. We are civilsed, educated and professional to allow such incident happen during any of enforcement operation”. He stated.

Taskforce Chairman admonished all recalcitrant offenders that traffic offence is not a criminal offence, they should keep faith with the country’s Judicial system and summon courage to submit self for prosecution at the Court for the offence committed, it is better and cheaper for them to face the reality of the offence they committed, rather than being evasive or demonstrating insanity to escape arrest which is no longer acceptable to us. Nigerians are no fools.

Jejeloye advised members of public to be vigilant, report any suspicious activities around them to the Agency and help the Agency in her drive to fish out fake policemen parading themselves as Taskforce officials.

He enjoined Lagosians to support the Agency in her efforts to instil discipline and achieve the State vision of zero tolerance for driving against traffic and other related offences. Taskforce was created to maintain law, order and sanity where there is none. Enforcement of traffic laws is not a tea party as the offender would do anything humanly possible to escape justice, and in the process, the offender can kill, maim and cause serious injury to innocent members of the public in his bid to escape from the scene.

Though the incident which occurred is highly unfortunate and regrettable, I would like to clearly state that it was not carried out by officials of the Lagos State Taskforce, infact we are too careful and professional to allow such operations degenerate into that ugly incident. I would like to urge Lagosians particularly the media practitioners to tow the line of best practices and verify their findings scientifically before publication. The use of Taskforce branded vehicle by the Punch Newspaper is misleading and a misrepresentation of facts. At this point of our Nation’s history, there is need for us to be very careful in our reportage to avoid inciting members of the public against Government agencies. The Endsars impasse is still fresh in our memory and we must avoid a repeat of that ugly incident.

2 Persons Dead, 3 Injured As Oyo Govt. Rescues Victims, After Trailers Ram Into Akinyele Resettlement Area

The Oyo State Government, yesterday rescued some victims of an accident which occurred at exactly 4:37am involving two trailers that rammed into the Resettlement center, Akinyele Ibadan.

According to the Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Inclusion, Alhaja Kafilat Olayiwola, the accident was as a result of brake failure which left two persons dead, while three with varying degree of injuries, were quickly rescued and taken to a nearby Government hospital.

She said, “We received a call about the accident that happened at the Resettlement center and immediately we responded. When we got there, an eye witness told us that a trailer loaded with rice hit another vehicle as a result of brake failure, one rammed into the fence up to the female hostel while the other trailer collapsed on another perimeter fence.”

“As I speak, the injured ones are receiving and responding to treatment in the Government hospital, nearby while the corpses have been buried according to Islamic rites.”

While Alhaja Olayiwola condoled with the community over the death of their loved ones, she also enjoined drivers to take necessary precautions before driving, as this will avert such sad incidents.

Yet-to-be identified ritualists cut off woman’s head in Ekiti

Some yet-to-be identified ritualists on Saturday allegedly cut off a 94-year-old woman’s head in her house at Ikun-Ekiti, Moba Local Government Area of Ekiti State

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the body of the old woman, Mrs Ayodele Asaolu, was found in her house on Saturday evening without her head.

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in Ekiti, ASP Sunday Abutu, when contacted on Sunday on the incident promised to get back to newsmen on the incident.

Abutu however, confirmed the incident to NAN on Tuesday, saying that officers of the Command had began investigating the incident.

The PPRO said the case was reported by one of the children of the deceased who was contacted by neighbours after the corpse was found in the house.

NAN learnt that the woman was living alone in the house where the incident occurred.

Some indigenes and residents of the community who spoke with NAN correspondent on condition of anonymity said that they suspected some ritualists to have killed the old woman.

They added that the ritualists must have observed that the woman was living alone in her house before they attacked and killed her for the alleged money ritual.

“We were not aware of any movement around her house, she stays alone in her house and we believe it is the ritualists that killed and cut off her head for money rituals.

“We are appealing to the police to assist us to arrest them because if such an ugly incident can happen in our community, nobody is safe,” the residents said.

Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu Hails new Olubadan of Ibadan land, Oba Lekan Balogun

All Progressives Congress National Leader, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, has congratulated the Otun-Olubadan of Ibadan, Senator Lekan Balogun, over his appointment as the new Olubadan of Ibadanland and elevation to the zenith of leadership institution in the land.

While praying for a long and eventful reign for the new Olubadan, Asiwaju Tinubu expressed the hope that the new monarch would deploy his tremendous skills and rich understanding of traditional institution to promote peace and stability in Ibadanland, Oyo State and Nigeria as a whole.

In a statement on Tuesday by his Media Office in Lagos, signed by Mr. Tunde Rahman, the APC national leader said:

“Hearty congratulations to the new Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Lekan Balogun, over his appointment and elevation to the zenith of traditional
institution in Ibadanland.

“The beauty of the rich and highly-respected traditional hierarchical leadership structure of Ibadanland has again affirmed itself.

“As a former Senator and the Otun-Olubadan until this new appointment, you have truly earned your stripes.

“Your high leadership qualities, particularly your tremendous skills, experience, knowledge and deep understanding of traditional institution
are worthy of note.

“As the 42nd Olubadan of Ibadanland, I hope and pray that you would deploy these qualities to promote peace, unity and stability not only in
Ibadanland, Oyo State, Yorubaland but also across the country.

“I congratulate you. I wish you a long, eventful and successful reign. May your reign usher in peace and development in Ibadanland.”

ASUU Strike: NANS Storms Ministry Of Labour In Abuja, Warns Of Mass Protest Of Nigerian Students

The National Association of Nigerian Students NANS yesterday stormed Ministry of Labour in Abuja and warned of looming mass protest should FG fails to bring an end to the recently declared strike action of ASUU.

This was contained in a statement made available to newsmen by the President, Sunday Asefon as read in part:

“We have received the news of the decision of ASUU to embark on a month warning strike with great disappointment. We have thought ASUU and FG represented by top executives would allow reason to prevail, reached compromise, act responsibly in the interest of the education sector and indeed Nigeria, to do all that is required to responsibly avert this avoidable strike.

“We are appalled by the impunity, recklessness, and irresponsibility the managers of this negotiation from both side of the table has managed the fragile situation allowing it to degenerate to the level of industrial action. We are therefore compelled to believe that negotiators from both sides acted so irresponsibly because of their apathy of the interest and welfare of the major stakeholder of the sector(students) during the negotiations.

“We are equally disappointed at the government for not doing everything possible to avert this embarrassment. We are also disappointed with the ASUU for reaching this conclusion irrespective of the implications to the students, academic calendar, research they claim to love, national security, and sanity. The Government and ASUU by this action sent a direct message to Nigerian students to also take positions comfortable for our side of the table irrespective of the implications. Let me say equivocally that we will respond in clear language, the language the oppressors understand.

“I passionately appeal to all students leaders, NANS structures, and organs across the nation to mobilize to our national non-elective congress on the 17th of February where far-reaching decisions shall be made on our collective response to this blatant lack of patriotism, human feelings, and feelings for the collective future of education in Nigeria.

“Our decisions shall be decisive, collective, and irreversible until the strike is called off. We shall fight this impunity and recklessness without any consideration other than an immediate end to this strike.

“We, therefore, inform the Minister of Labour to expect us in our numbers, and ASUU should be ready to return to the table to end this avoidable, reckless and repugnant strike. Let me assure the Minister of Labour that our protest in his office today is introductory and child play in what is yet to come. We are resolute more than before to ensure we hold government, especially the ministry of labour responsible for these incessant strike actions.

“Further negotiations should as a matter of urgency have students representative as part of the parties to allow balance in decisions that are capable of impairing the lives of students and derailing their progress. The contentions and issues are triangular and must be treated so, going forward”.

Abba Kyari is wanted over alleged link to drug cartel, NDLEA’s spokesman, Babafemi reveals

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, has declared suspended Deputy Commissioner of Police, Abba Kyari, wanted.

NDLEA’s spokesman, Femi Babafemi declared Kyari wanted for alleged links to with an international drug cartel.

Babafemi disclosed this during a press conference held in its headquarters on Monday.

Kyari was suspended over his alleged involvement with international fraudster, Ramon Abass aka Hushpuppi.

The former Intelligence Response Team, IRT, boss was alleged to have benefitted from a heist carried out by Hushpuppi and his gang in Dubai.

Details later…

Armed thugs that attacked Igboho’s residence killed one aide, leaving others matcheted – Lawyer

One person was feared killed and many confirmed injured on Saturday when armed thugs attacked the Soka residence of Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo aka Sunday Igboho, in Ibadan, Oyo State.

Igboho’s lead lawyer, Yomi Aliyyu (SAN), confirmed the attack in a telephone chat today.

Our correspondent also obtained footage of the injured aides of the Yoruba Nation campaigner.

According to Aliyyu, the armed thugs stormed Igboho’s residence and macheted the associates of the Yoruba Nation campaigner, leaving one of his aides dead.

He said the hoodlums attacked the same house of the agitator that the Department of State Services attacked on July 1, 2021.

The secret police had stormed Igboho’s Ibadan residence in a Gestapo style around 2am on July 1, 2021. The secret police killed two of the agitator’s associates and arrested 12 others who were released months later.

Declared wanted by the secret police for allegedly stockpiling arms to destabilise Nigeria, an allegation he denied, Igboho escaped to the neighbouring francophone country in July 2021.

However, luck ran out on him and he was arrested by Interpol at a Benin airport when he tried to board a Germany-bound flight.

He had since been remanded in a prison in Benin Republic for over six months where he is said to be facing trial for immigration-related offences, amongst others.

The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), said the Federal Government would bring back Igboho to Nigeria after his prosecution in Benin Republic.

TOOAN Leader, Istijaba, Four Others Arrested By Lagos Police, Gun Recovered

Following up on earlier warning by Lagos State Government for trouble makers to steer clear of the metropolis, Rapid Response Squad (RRS) this afternoon arrested one of the leaders of Tricycle Owners and Operators Association of Nigeria (TOOAN), Alhaji Azeez Abiola, and four suspects for attempting to cause mayhem in Agege.

The RRS just also recovered a pump action gun in the area.

Alhaji Azeez Abiola, alias Istijaba was arrested along with Yusuf Azeez, a.k.a Araba (42), Kazeem Akinbode a.k.a Womi (43), Taofiq Odewale, a.k.a Omo Iya Agba (38) and Moses Abiodun, a.k.a Orobo (34).

They were arrested in Agege while leading a team of supporters to NURTW headquarters in Agege, an action which the authority believed would trigger violence and chaos in other parts of the metropolis.

While police arrested Azeez Abiola and four other suspects, a pump action gun was recovered from the area where some of his supporters who fled to evade arrest were standing.

The State Government had earlier today warned that it would deal decisively with people trying to foment trouble in Agege and Abule Egba after it got intelligence that some hoodlums were trying to cause pandemonium.

While Government appealed to aggrieved persons to explore legitimate channels to seek redress, it directed Commander, Rapid Response Squad (RRS) CSP Olayinka Egbeyemi to reinforce patrol of Agege and Abule Egba in order to forestall breakdown of law and order.

The Commissioner of Police, CP Abiodun Alabi has directed CSP Olayinka Egbeyemi to transfer the suspects and the exhibit to the State Command for further investigations.

You cannot copy content of this page