Lagos Ready To Boost Food Production Through Urban Farming – Sanwo-Olu

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu gave his words once again that the Lagos state government is willing to give the agricultural sector a great boost through Urban Farming, at the networking programme organized by the Kingdom of Netherlands in collaboration with the state’s Ministry of Agriculture.

This statement was made through his deputy, Dr Obafemi Hamzat at the symposium held at the Eko Hotels and Suites, Victoria Island, tagged “Urban Farming: Feeding the Cities”.

Dr. Hamzat, said that the state government strongly believe that Urban Farming initiatives would reduce spoilage of foods caused by long hours of transportation, increase local production of leafy and fruit vegetables, provide farmers with various agricultural inputs, technologies, equipment and other technical know- how that would stimulate aggressive and sustainable agricultural production.

Mr Deputy Governor added that the popularization of urban agriculture through production of fruits and vegetables of plants, rearing of livestock within and around cities, community gardening, rooftop gardening, urban forest gardening, green walls, vertical farms, beekeeping amongst others shall ensure that the citizens have a steady stream of income while overcoming the challenge of food scarcity and hunger.

In her contribution, Ms. Abisola Olusanya, Lagos State Commissioner for Agriculture appreciated the Dutch government in partnering with the state and said that our doors are open for more of such collaborations through private sector partnerships.

She added that it is important to note that the prospects of Urban Farming to the state is paramount to the present administration as it will lead to availability of nutritious and healthy foods, create employment for our teeming youths and equally act as a source of raw materials for the various manufacturing industries requiring the agricultural produce for their products.

In his own words, The Netherlands Deputy Consul General, Mr. Arie Plieger, said that his country is eager and ready to partner with Lagos State in sustaining food security as well as boost inclusive and sustainable growths.

2023: Afenifere leader, Adebanjo, backs South East presidency

The leader of pan-Yoruba socio-political group, Afenifere, Chief Ayo Adebanjo, says that it is the turn of the Igbo to produce the next President of Nigeria. Adebanjo said this on the Channels Television’s Politics Today on Wednesday.
According to the 94-year-old elder statesman, it is in the spirit of federal character and equity for the Igbo to produce the next President of the country.

He argued that the South-West produced former President Olusegun Obasanjo who led for eight years and Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo who has served for almost eight years.
Adebanjo added that the South-South had also produced the President in the person of Goodluck Jonathan who was in office from 2010 to 2015.
The Afenifere leader said all the while, the South-East had been denied the Presidency.

“How can you say rotation in the North and South, and when it comes to the South, it would be South-West and South-South every time? Is the South-East not part of the South? What is the moral we are talking about?
“Is it not the South-West that has served Obasanjo for eight years, Osinbajo for another eight years as Vice President? South-South has served its own. Is the South-East not part of the South? That is the question we should answer,” he said.
Adebanjo said the federal character concept was introduced to accommodate the North.

He therefore wondered why concessions could be made for the South-East which had been marginalised.
The Afenifere leader added, “Is it not to accommodate the North that we put the federal character in the constitution, to accommodate less developed areas?
“It doesn’t help the unity of this country if anybody is talking about merit now. It is because of the heterogeneity of the country to keep us together that the question of this rotation comes in, to accommodate ourselves as much as possible. Why do you want to overlook that now? Coming to the South for the 2023 presidential candidate is the equity, moral, and principle, except we are deceiving ourselves.”

Timothy Adegoke: Trial Of Adedoyin, Others Begins Today In Osun

The trial of the owner of Hiltons Hotel, Ile-Ife, Osun State, Dr Ramon Adedoyin, and others arrested in connection with the death of a Master’s student of Obafemi Awolowo University, Timothy Adegoke, will commence on Thursday in Osogbo.

Elder brother to the deceased, Gbade, made this known to our correspondent on Wednesday.

“The case will come up tomorrow (Thursday) by 9am in Osogbo,” he said.

Adedoyin and Adedeji Adesola, Magdalene Chiefuna, Adeniyi Aderogba, Oluwale Lawrence, Oyetunde Kazeem and Adebayo Kunle had previously been arraigned before Federal High Court in Abuja on counts bordering on conspiracy, unlawful interference with a dead body, altering and intent to destroy evidence and murder.

But counsel to the family of the deceased, Mr. Femi Falana, SAN, had written to the Inspector General of Police, Usman Baba, asking that the matter be returned to Osun State, where the crime was allegedly committed.

Upon return to court on February 7, the prosecutor withdrew the matter.

The defendants were expected to appear before an Osun State High Court, sitting in Osogbo.

Speaking with our correspondent on Wednesday, spokesperson of Osun Police Command, Yemisi Opalola, also said the trial would commence on Thursday.

Opalola said, “I wouldn’t know if they are around or not, but I know the matter will begin tommorow (today Thursday).”

Ukraine invasion: Over 100 Nigerians storm embassy, volunteer to fight Russian troops

Following the call for volunteer fighters by the Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelensky, about 115 Nigerian youths, Wednesday, stormed Ukraine embassy in an effort to join Ukraine in its fight against Russia.

The youths in their large numbers visited the Ukraine Embassy in Abuja, and were directed by the embassy to put down their names in a register provided.

Effort to take pictures at the scene prooved aborted as Journalists were barred from taking their photographs.

The second secretary, Ukraine Embassy, Bohdan Soltys, confirmed the development, adding that no step had yet been taken to that effect.

The volunteers are believed to be responding to a recent call by Ukrainian President, Volodymyr Zelensky, urging people around the world to join the fight.

In a statement released on Sunday, the President accused the Russian army of killing civilians and praised Ukrainians for having the courage to defend themselves.

He said the assault by Russia was not just “Russia’s invasion of Ukraine” but also the beginning of a war against democracy and basic human rights.

Zelensky had called on anyone who wished to join the defense of Ukraine, Europe and the world to come and fight side by side with Ukrainians.

Motorcycle Snatched As Okada Rider Shot Dead By Gunmen On Lagos/Ibadan Expressway

ODUDUWA NEWS has just gathered that a yet to be identified motorcyclist has been shot dead by unknown gunmen.

The okada rider was killed while struggling to prevent the thieves from snatching his motorcycle at the Orogun end of Lagos/Ibadan expressway in Akinyele local gvernment on Wednesday.

It was revealed that the dastardly act was carried out in the early hours of Wednesday.

Residents and passersby woke up to discover the remains of the victim by the roadside with the key of the motorcycle beside him.

The suspected gunmen reportedly went away with the motorcycle but left the key beside his dead body.

Speaking with our correspondent on the condition of anonymity, a passerby said the man could have been shot on the head while struggling for possession of his bikes with the gunmen.

He explained that robbery incident is now rampant in the area, and, therefore, called on relevant security agencies to beam their searchlight in the area.

When contacted, the State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Adewale Osifeso, said updates would be provided in due course.

You Are God’s General, Pillar Of Christendom- Akeredolu Celebrates Pastor Adeboye @80

Ondo State Governor, Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Akeredolu,SAN, has congratulated the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), Pastor Enoch Adejare Adeboye, on the occasion of his 80th birthday.

Governor Akeredolu described the man of God as a God’s General whose ministry has continued to impact positively on the lives of many Christians across the world.

“On this occasion of your 80th birthday, we celebrate your grace and impact as a true Servant of God. You have continued to influence many lives positively, projecting the Christian values with dedication for the development of the country at large.

Your ministry has attracted many souls to God, decimating the kingdom of darkness amid the cloud of a dwindling values. For us, you have lived a purposeful life, a life of vision and great mission. Your evangelism has transformed many lives even you have gained many souls to the side of God Almighty.

“Your humility and kindness have endeared you to your huge membership and beyond. You are a God’s general and a pillar of the Christian faith with unblemished service in God’s Kingdom. Your phenomenal life as a servant of God will continue to be an inspiration to many believers of God.” Governor Akeredolu said.

The Governor prayed that the almighty God will grant Pastor Adeboye longer life, good health and more strength and grace to work in his vineyard.

Gedu-Sabo-Oroki-Asipa Road Ready for Commissioning – Oyo Govt

The Oyo State Government has declared that the 5.20km Gedu-Sabo-Oroki road in Oyo town is ready for commissioning. The declaration was made by the State Commissioner for Public Works and Transport, Prof Dahud Sangodoyin, today, while inspecting the road.

He added that rehabilitation works on the road has been completed and it is ready for commissioning by the government for public use. According to him, all specifications given to the contractor for the road were met, after proper inspection by Engineers and Quality Assurance team from the Ministry.

He said, “The Gedu-Sabo-Oroki road which was awarded by the State Government, is ready for public use. We only await desilting of the drainage system and then finalizing the road markings. “The inspection today is just to ascertain that all the specifications given to the contractor were followed and to the best of my knowledge we have actually checked the wearing course. It is satisfactory. The drainage system followed the specification of 1meter and all other instructions that were given to the contractor. Also, our counterpart in the Ministry of Energy has installed all the electric poles.”

Addressing the initial poorly constructed bridges on the road which the Governor directed to be pulled down, Sangodoyin said that the bridges are now well constructed.
“The one with 2 cells has been increased to 4 cells. While the one with failed wall has been properly constructed and every other instruction and specifications has been duly followed by the contractor”, he said.

He however admonished road users to be careful of over-speeding as the road is now very smooth, adding that in due course they’ll observe how people speed on the road to know where to put speed breakers and every other necessary road signs.

Lagos Court Sentences Notorious Kidnapper, Evans, Two Others To Life Imprisonment

Justice Hakeem Oshodi of the Lagos High Court in Ikeja on Friday sentenced Chukwudimeme Onwuamadike, aka Evans, and his accomplices – Uche Amadi and Okwuchukwu Nwachukwu to life imprisonment.

The court found Evans guilty of the kidnap of Mr Donatius Dunu, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Maydon Pharmaceuticals Ltd.

In a three-hour judgment, Justice Hakeem Oshodi found the three persons guilty of conspiracy and kidnapping.

The judge, however, discharged and acquitted the other co-defendants, Ogechi Uchechukwu, Chilaka Ifeanyi, an ex-soldier; and Victor Aduba, also an ex-soldier.

He held that there was no evidence linking them to the crimes

IBEDC: Apete Residents Embark On Protest Over Incessant Power Outage In Community

The residents of Apete area of Ibadan have trooped out today to protest against the incessant black out in the community.

The people came out today to show their grievances on the inability of Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company IBEDC to give them light.

According to ODUDUWA NEWS correspondent who monitored the event, observed that the people who were agitated displayed placards with various inscriptions.

They however warned power distribution officials to desist from distributing bills for the service they do not render.

One of the protesters who spoke under the condition of annonymity to our correspondent frowned against what he called ‘wickedness’ on the part of the Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company IBEDC officials for making their business activities paralyzed due to the incessant black out.

They unanimously called on all stakeholders to rise to their demand as it is no longer comfortable for most of them who are artisans, traders and business men who use electricity for their survival on a daily basis.

NECO Releases 2021 Nov/Dec SSCE Results

The National Examinations Council (NECO) has released November/December 2021 Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) results.

Professor Dantani Wushishi, NECO Registrar, announced this on Thursday, in Minna, Niger State capital.

Wushishi said the results were released 68 days after the completion of the 2021 external examination papers.

He said, “The Number of candidates that registered for the examination was 47, 916. The number of candidates that sat for English Language was 45,821 out of which 36,116, representing 78.82% made Credit and above.

“45,756 candidates sat for Mathematics, out of which 35,706, representing 78.04percent made Credit and above.

“The number of candidates who got five (5) Credits and above, including English Language and Mathematics is 29,342, representing 62.59%.

“On the other hand, 37,991 candidates, representing 81.04%, got five (5) Credits and above, irrespective of English Language and Mathematics.

“The number of candidates booked for various forms of malpractice in 2021 is 4,454, as against 6,465 in 2020, which shows a significant decline in the number of malpractice cases.”

Wushishi also informed candidates that they could access their results on www.neco.gov.ng, by using their examination registration numbers.

You cannot copy content of this page