The Students’ Union of University of Ibadan has today confirmed that the Management has perfected plan to increase the fees for the returning students and fresh students.
The confirmation was made known today in a press release made available by the Students’ Union as read in part:
- “We extend our warmest greetings to you and we do believe this pleasant greetings meet you well. We equally believe that you are making the best use of this holiday period.
- We are all aware of the wave of school fees increment which has been spreading across institutions of learning in Nigeria. As a union, we have been monitoring development in other tertiary institutions, while also making consultations on our campus to verify the rumour of possible increment in fees.
- As a result of the efforts of the Union leadership, there was a meeting between the representatives of the University of Ibadan Students Leaders, and the University management on Friday, 28th July 2023.
- The student leaders team was led by the President of the Students Union, Samuel Samson Tobiloba (HOST) and other executives of the Union. The meeting also had the Speaker of the Student Representative Council (SRC), representatives of the Council of Faculty Presidents and Hall Chairpersons, Union of Campus Journalist (UCJ) President, Muslim Students Society of Nigeria (MSSN) Amir, Association of Union of Christian Students Fellowship (AUCSF) representative, and President of Special Persons Club in attendance.
- The management team was led by the Vice-Chancellor Prof Kayode Adebowale, other principal officers at the meeting include the Deputy Vice-Chancellor Administration, Deputy Vice-Chancrllor Academics, The Registrar, the University Librarian, and the Dean of Students.
- The management notified us of the plan to increase school fees for both fresh and returning students. There is also plan for increment in accommodation and studio/practical fees. The reasons given for this decision include the dwindling subvention from the Federal Government, and the rising cost of running the university due to inflation.
- Though the approximate value of the proposed charge for returning students was made known, the proposed amount for fresh students, accommodation, and others were however not disclosed.
- In the remark by the Union President, he commended the administration’s innovative management of the University’s scarce resources over the years that have made the University the envy of her equals. He equally noted that we are in terms with the new economic reality of the country. However, we requested for the proposed amount for the freshers and details about other fees (hostel fee, professional fees amongst others) which the management did not make available as the Vice-Chancellor mentioned that it has not been approved by the university senate. The union leaders resolved that there is a need for clearer picture of the proposed fee increment for all categories of students for proper further discussion.
- The meeting ended without conclusion, as the Vice-Chancellor restated the management’s openness for further deliberations with the Students’ Union on the planned increment in fees.
- As a Union, we have started consultation with the relevant stakeholders on the next line of action for a peaceful resolution.
- Please note that this release is not to create panic but to assure you of our commitment to you, and ensure that all UITEs are aware of the new development; hence there should be no space for rumours”.